Friday, February 8, 2008

Miz Allie Cat Talks About Cats and Drinking Milk

I know I know mommy likes to dress me up...meow....so I try and tolerate her...now on to the facts...
Should we cats drink milk? Meow...Not sure I guess I must read more....This is one of those cat questions that confuse most mommys and daddys when taking care of us...meow... Kittens need to drink THEIR MOTHER'S milk while they are nursing. It is full of the fat and protein that they need to grow rapidly and survive. yummy in my tummy...meow...

But us cats and kittens can drink COW's milk OCCASIONALLY but we do not need to drink it. Is personally likes it lots, and mommy gives it to me a little. Never too much though cause then I am tripsing to my litters box... meow...We can however, easily live our whole life without ever having cow's milk. Oh but Iwould really miss it....

Most feral or wild cats never have cow's milk. poor guys...meow...Like humans, we and our little kitten friends are lactose intolerant. We cannot digest cow's milk properly and that is why I trips to my litters box because I get diarrhea or gastric upset when I drink it, and so will you. Meow.... Kittens that become lactose intolerant usually only become intolerant after they are about 3 months of age, those lucky little guys...meow....THEIR mom's milk shouldn't cause any gastric upset. yummy...slurp!

If you or your kitten friends gets diarrhea as a result of drinking cow's milk, tell your mommy and daddys to stop giving you milk and it should pass. Some of our owners who know we have lactose intolerant problems and we's are 'milkaholics' can occasionally give us lactose free milk. Meow....Mommys and daddys you can find lactose free milk in pet stores. If we digests milk without a problem then you can give us the occasional milk treat. meow meow...

Remember - Cow's milk should never be the primary or regular food source for any us whether we be grown up or a kitten since it is missing many essential ingredients to keep us healthy. MEOW.....

11 comments:

Diamond Emerald-Eyes said...

You can get special milk in most pet or groceries stores made just for cats. But it's to be served as a treat, and not as a food. I only get milk if I swipe some my human might be drinking.

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

I like to swipe Mommy's almond milk or rice milk from the bottom of her cereal bowl. I haven't had anny litterbox troubles, but I don't get very much either.

Riley

Mickey's Musings said...

Miz Allie,that is very good information. I do not like milk and Tillie only licks a little. Georgia loves it but,like you,she only gets a little bit.
You look very pretty all dressed up. Quite dashing! :)
Purrs Mickey

Just Ducky said...

I don't get milk, but I do get to lick the ice cream dish now and then.

Daisy said...

Miz Allie, you are looking very glamorous today! Thanks for the info about milk. I do not get to drink any milk, myself.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Oah Miz Allie,
I can see you are not happy about your dress~!

Tiger Lily said...

Happy Valentine's Day Miz Allie Cat!

Jemima, Zeke, Sushi, Tiger Lily and Ruckus

Tyler said...

Miz Allie Cat, I need your help! I don't have a full name or address for my Swap n' Tails partner. I never did receive an e-mail from you. When you wrote on my blog that a package was coming I didn't know you were my partner but thought you were sending info on the person I had to buy for. Not receiving a package or e-mail I finally returned to the blog and found that partners WERE picked and I'm behind. Very behind.

Now we have gifts picked out but we want to send them straight from the merchant so that they will get there as quickly as possible.

My e-mail is lynn@hambley.com.
Thanks!

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

I like the TASTE of cow's milk, but it makes me barf immediately after I indulge ... I'm lactose intolerant just like Mom.

Miz Allie ... The Feline Americans and I LOVED the Valentine that you sent with the heart confetti an' the cool stickers. Mom's gonna let me use the stickers on my Cat Blogosphere scrapbook. Yay!

We hope that you had a super-cool Valentine's Day like we did!

Luf,
DMM an' Feline Americans

muffinmidi said...

That was a very good article on milk.I like milk, but too much makes me upchuck.Mommy is going to try the lactose-free milk for me.

muffinmidi said...

That was a very good article on milk.I like milk, but too much makes me upchuck.Mommy is going to try the lactose-free milk for me.