Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Miz Allie Ponder's Who's Fat and Just Over Fed?




Meow...I think that some mommy out there has waaaaaaaaaaaaay over fed this feline friend. I mean that this kitty cat is just plain old FAT! Now if you compare it to me you can see that I may be a little on the thinner side, but my mommy is always good to me and feeds me just right. Meow...She reads up on these important things...like..giving me a nibble here, a table scrap there won’t hurt me too much as long as it is done in moderation and she can tell that my tummy is not too big, but could it be too much for some cats?

Well that may be all it takes to help expand your cat’s girth.The truth is, one little snack may not hurt, but you’d be amazed at how little it takes to add up to a fat cat. According to Margie Scherk, DVM, ABVP (Feline), just ten extra pieces of an average formula of cat food per day above your cat's energy needs can result in a weight gain of one pound of fat in one year! WOW! Meow...That is a lot! Now that may not be a big deal for a human, but that’s ten percent of a ten-pound cat’s weight.That can make a big difference there. Meow.....

25% of cats are now approaching the fat scale. Yet..cats living in the wild aren’t usually fat? They work hard for their food: running, jumping, and climbing trees to kill as many as ten mice a day. So nature provides many small meals throughout the day rather than one or two huge meals. I ususally get fed small portions 2x a day and I am always looking for more but mommy never gives me much more...meow...now I know its because she loves me...meow...

Eating too much of the wrong food (foods that contain too many carbs and dry food), as well as a lack of exercise, contributes to your cat’s ever-expanding waistline and puts it at risk for diabetes, hepatic lipidosis, arthritis, feline lower urinary tract infections (LUTI) and even skin disorders, according to Dr. Scherk. Puss Puss....meow.....We are of course obligate carnivores; we were not designed to eat carbohydrates. Unfortunately pet food manufacturers don’t sell mouse cat food. Meow....Yes, the natural (wild) cat consumes a little grain and greenery, but only the contents of the mouse’s stomach and intestinal tract. The rest of the mouse is unadulterated flesh, bone and fat in just the right proportions. hey I like those micees...meow...

So mommies listen up now....if your tabby has gotten tubby, take it to the veterinarian. There may be a serious medical reason for your pet’s weight gain. Also include your veterinarian in your kitty’s weight loss plan. Since your cat doesn’t have to fit into a prom dress by a certain date, well some of us might, there’s no reason to rush the reduction. In fact, starving your pet or forcing rapid weight loss can result in a potentially fatal condition called hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver disease. Oh no...never starrve..meow...

It’s important to check with your veterinarian for dietary recommendations.Food is only one aspect of weight loss. Remember, the wild cat expends a great deal of energy hunting. Another variation is to divide your cat’s daily ration into six or seven mouse-sized portions and place it in tiny sushi soy sauce bowls all over the house - in different rooms, on top of things, or under furniture. Ohhh I like that one...Let's play hide-n-seek for the food, I think Foxy will like it too.. Meow...


Make your cat work for it. Like its wild counterpart, your pet gets to hunt.Occasional treats have their place. They’re very effective for training your kitty to do tricks or rewarding good behavior. Use treats as a reward when you need to do something uncomfortable like medicate your cat or trim its toenails. But always remember that too much of a good thing is not necessarily good.


Medicine and Nutrition suggests selecting lower calorie all-meat treats like, turkey baby food, bonito flakes, freeze dried chicken or fish. Yum Yummy I feel it in my tummy already...Meow....They don’t contain empty carbs, grains and empty calories. His rule of thumb is everything in moderation. Don’t treat more than five percent of the cat’s diet. Avoid treats that contain any form of onion, garlic, chocolate, grapes, raisins, grains and sugars. Yuck....

Keeping an eye on your cat’s weight and resisting the urge to feed your kitty when you know you shouldn’t, will help to ensure a happy and healthy life for your feline. Oh yes..meow...meow...meow....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts are excellent and informative, Miz Allie Cat! And oh my goodness gracious, that big floofy orange kitty is even bigger than Brainball, and I didn't think such a thing was possible *giggle*! Brainball isn't fat, but she's a very large-framed, big-boned girl, and her floof makes her look even bigger!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn!

Anonymous said...

p.s. -- Brainball is my sister -- I don't know whether you've seen her yet; she's over at my brother MaoMao's blog. *smile*

Samantha & Mom said...

Aye, we's nere seen such a feline that size afore! Ye advice is takin! Mite fin' advice it is, too, Miz Allie Cat! Arrrr!
Yer Fl mateys,
Lieutenant-Colonel Janie Jalibird and
Bloody Neck Snapper Ned

Karen Jo said...

You give very good advice on feeding our feline friends. I have a question. I work in a grocery store deli and some cat owners have taken to feeding their cats deli meat since the cat food problem. I worry about the salt content of these meats and how that might affect their beloved cats. Does salt affect a cat's kidneys like it does human kidneys?